250

Almost 2 years ago, I decided to try a different type of physical workout.  Signed up with Camp Gladiator (CG) for "boot camp".  Committed to showing up with a yoga mat and dumbbells for a whole body work out 3 times per week. Realized at my first workout that I was one of a very few participants who was old enough to qualify for Medicare.

I was probably in slightly better shape than average for my age, but maybe that doesn't say much for me or the average senior citizen.  I had to walk most of the warm up lap.  Any exercise that involved getting on the ground or up from the ground took me a bit longer, I probably consistently missed the first couple of reps.  At one my first work outs, I was breathing very hard and struggling.  The woman next to me (Amanda) turned to me and reassuring said "It's OK Terry, I am a nurse trained in CPR". I have yet to need it, but a few times might have been pretty close.

The work outs can be pretty high impact.  I already suffered from the occasional back problem and painful joints.  Suspected my joints would not stand the work outs, but decided to try for a while anyway. Henry Menh the trainer I have worked with for most work outs has been a great to help me and others in not great shape with modified exercises to lessen the effects on joints.  He has provided encouragement every day and made every work out unique. Thanks Henry.

This week I completed my 250th work out.  I no longer experience any joint pain, my back no longer bothers me and I can run  (at least the warm up lap/s).  My weight is down by about 20 pounds and I am much stronger. CG has definitely made my life better. Strongly encourage my sedentary friends and relatives to give it a try.

"When you feel like quitting, think about why you started." - unknown

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Mom

Wild Melons

20 years BC